Each year Black Rock City arises anew on the playa, like an oasis glimpsed through the haze by a bedraggled and dehydrated caravansary. What better way to discover a new city than by scavenger hunt? Put down your rebar, go for a stroll, and see if you can find the following:
- A middle-aged naked man riding a Segway.
- Something wrapped in bacon.
- Someone falling off art.
- A mewling kitten hiding in the engine compartment of a rental truck. (True story. It was rescued by a kindly Ranger, a veterinarian in the default world, who protected it in her tent from the prying and petsick eyes of a certain Beacon reporter.)
- A woman who invites you to suck booze from a tube attached to her tit.
- Cosmiquarium Village (“where the mysteries of the deep intermingle with the wonder of the stars.”).
- Camp Magic Pancakes.
- A young man wearing a flower pot on his head. (We met him last year when we offered a prize to the first burner bringing a Devo-related item to Camp Beacon. When he appeared, we asked if he was excited to win the contest. “What contest?” he replied.)
- Grover Norquist.
- A pirate ship, or someone dressed as a pirate.
- Alien Siege Machine (where “crews are enslaved and driven by a mysterious rancor to pilot the machine into battle”).
- Someone dispensing advice. (Last year I talked to God in a phone booth on the Esplanade. I told him I was thinking about giving up bacon because I love animals. But I was torn, as eating bacon makes me feel at one with the universe. God said, “You have answered your own question.”)
- A caravan of giant teapots.
- Genital Portrait Studio. (“Your session may include a number of props and positions, and you can walk away with your very own Genital ID card.”)
- Camp Russian Roulette. (“We will turn people into Russians and Russians into people.”)
- A 24-foot tall genie bottle.
- A shirtcocker. (Urban Dictionary: “A guy at the Burning Man Festival who walks around with a shirt on and no pants, with genitalia exposed.”)
- Someone taking a photo of someone taking a photo.
- Your soul.
Proceed to Beacon HQ (1:30 @ Center Camp, near Playa Info) and tell us what you found. Prize: A copy of Tuesday’s issue, and a big dusty hug.
(Camp and art descriptions are from the Burning Man website.)